Product content syndication
Product content syndication is the distribution of product data to multiple commerce platforms, formatted according to the individual set of requirements of each channel.
*Note: Product content syndication is sometimes referred to as product data syndication. *
In-depth PCS definition
Commerce businesses organize all of their product data in product feeds (picture a spreadsheet with product attributes like color, texture, weight, images, videos, etc.) All of that product content eventually needs to be onboarded to various marketing and selling channels. Instead of exporting the data channel by channel, product content syndication tools synchronize the process of onboarding product data to commerce platforms using automated technology.
However, PCS goes beyond a simple export of data. PCS enables companies to first standardize, enrich, and tailor product data based on each channel’s requirements – before it all gets distributed. In doing so, companies can easily control how their product content appears in front of consumers, regardless of the location.
Why are product content syndication services important?
People don’t just run into a department store at the mall to buy products anymore. In fact, according to Google, 63% of shopping occasions start online. They visit several retail touchpoints before getting to the point of purchase. In response, businesses need to meet consumers at all of the places they’re shopping, such as brick-and-mortar, online stores, marketplaces, social media, and soon, the metaverse.
But maintaining an omnichannel presence isn’t easy. It is time and resource exhaustive to onboard product data to multiple channels. Each channel has its own set of requirements for how product data needs to be presented, and new channels are popping up every day. Product content syndication services and platforms are necessary to successfully keep up with the pace of today’s commerce landscape.
PCS empowers businesses to:
- Speed up go-to-market by publishing and adjusting product information quickly
- Expand to new markets by easily adding new channels across the globe
- Strengthen brand equity and business relationships through consistent product storytelling
Who uses product content syndication tools?
Product information management (PIM) executives, data managers, and other related titles from sales and marketing teams are typically responsible for acquiring and sourcing product information and using PCS tools to export product information across the commerce ecosystem.
What should you look for in product content syndication software?
When looking at the PCS software market, businesses need to find the right partner that will help and work with them towards streamlining their commerce operations – not add complexity. What are some characteristics of a strong product content syndication platform to look out for?
- Integrations: PCS platforms should integrate well with other systems to centralize all information in a business’ product data ecosystem. This prevents data silos from forming across other systems in their tech stack.
- Automation: The ability to save precious labor hours by cutting down on manual processes through automation is the cornerstone of PCS. Not only does this add efficiency, but it also eliminates the potential for errors. For example, a PCS platform should automatically analyze and connect product data to channel-specific attributes – a mint colored jacket should be automatically mapped as green.
- Smart technology: PCS software should use machine learning and artificial intelligence to also incorporate other smart features like more intuitive product updates and insights. For example, a smart PCS platform can recognize what product attributes are new and need to be updated in product catalogs.
- Data mapping: PCS should provide a complete overview of [product information value chains](https://www.productsup.com/glossary/term/product-information-value-chain/ "product information value chains"), allowing more visibility of what data is going where and what it looks like.
- Simplified user experience: Anyone within a business, regardless of skill level, should be able to use the PCS platform to distribute product data. This is not only important in terms of accessibility, but also reduces overdependence on IT teams and services.
Interested in learning more about PCS? Check out the following resources: